Are you already working in coffee and do you want to further refine your skills? Or are you an enthusiast with a thorough basic knowledge of coffee who wants to gain more knowledge? The SCA Barista Skills Intermediate training from ITC Academy brings you a higher level! A nice plus, this training is SVH-accredited.
You will get started with the machines in this Intermediate training. We refresh your techniques, teach you all the fancy Barista moves and show you the latest gadgets in your field. But we also take the time to go through the theory with you. We will discuss the influence of origin, processing method and variety of the coffee bean. You will learn to recognize – by tasting – the effect of dosing and time. We experience why milk foams and why sometimes it won’t. You will work on the different coffees from the Barista menu and take the first steps to the financial aspects of a coffee bar.
|Two days of 7 hours each. The training starts at 10 a.m., we finish at 5 p.m.
|For those who have not taken any prior courses, we recommend to first complete the SCA Barista Skills Foundation training. It is not compulsory to have taken the Foundation training, however, participants for this intermediate program are expected to have a grasp of the knowledge and skill-set that is taught in the Foundation training.
- Training: € 487,00 excl. VAT (€ 589,27 incl. VAT) (including training materials and lunch).
- Certificate SCA-members (optional): € 120,00 excl. VAT (€ 145,20 incl. VAT) (please inform us of your membership during application).
- Certificate non-members (optional): € 210,00 excl. VAT (€ 254,10 incl. VAT)
As a member of the SCA you receive a discount on the certificate. You can join the SCA here: https://sca.coffee/membership/
|All learning materials are available at our training locations.
Coffee roasters, buyers, vendors, employees working with coffee, private individuals who would like to learn barista skills.
This training has been developed to teach the more intermediate skills and knowledge that are expected from a competent barista.
|The SCA Barista Skills Intermediate practical exam takes place on the second day of class. If you also want an SCA certificate, you can take the online theory test after passing your practical exam. Read our SCA page for more information.
|The Specialty Coffee Association (SCA) has created the Coffee Skills Program. This program consists of five different modules: Barista Skills, Brewing, Green Coffee, Sensory Skills and Roasting. Each module is offered at three levels: foundation, intermediate and professional. All modules are concluded with a practical and theoretical exam. On successful completion of a module an internationally accepted certificate can be requested. For more information about the certification system, please visit the SCA website.
During the day we will switch between theory, experiments and practice.
You will learn…
- what determines the taste of coffee beans;
- the influence of origin, processing method and variety of the coffee beans;
- how you organize your workplace to work quickly and efficiently;
- the advantages and disadvantages of ‘on-demand’ grinding;
- how to make micro adjustments to the coffee grinder;
- the effect of lower and higher dosing on taste;
- the influence of the extraction time on taste;
- how to achieve a balance between sour and bitter;
- what makes milk foam and what not;
- how to froth alternative milks;
- how to prevent cross-contamination;
- what the health risks are when making coffee;
- how to treat guests properly;
- the importance of good personal hygiene;
- how bad cleaning will influence the espresso machine;
- to become aware of the costs involved in making coffee.
You will learn…
- how to make an espresso, macchiato, americano, cappuccino, latte and flat white;
- how to efficiently process an order of multiple drinks;
- taste what the effects of adjusting the brew ratio and water temperature are on taste;
- to clean the espresso machine and the grinder;
- perfect your Barista skills.
Tastes like more? You might want to take a look at the following courses: